production VALUE vs Content

Share and discuss shots from your favorite filmakas. Ask for guidance on your next project.

Moderators: admin, soumya

Re: production VALUE vs Content

Postby VagrantBlack on Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:57 am

I'd like to see something that captures me within the first few seconds, then I'm more likely to watch the whole thing. During competitions, though, I watch the whole video no matter what as respect to the filmaker. So in the end it's content>quality
~Emeka

VagrantBlack

First Name: Emeka
Title: Creator of Universes
Skills: Languages: French and English, Strong Character Actor,
Adobe Premiere Pro,
Adobe After Effects,
Adobe Photoshop
Biography: I'm following the path that I have created.
How did you hear about Filmaka.com: Festival

Postby KolieO on Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:48 pm

I agree with Leonardo. That content is a very important element to a film and is possibly more important. When ignored, the lack of content makes for a horrible film. However, I think that we are ignoring an important element of production value. Sometimes poor production value limits the content. IF you don’t have the right tools to convey your message, you won’t.

KolieO

First Name: Kolie
Title: Filmaka Member
Biography: Actor, Editor, Director,

Postby Hades on Thu May 28, 2009 5:54 am

I pose a question to answer your question...

Do you want to be Michael Bay or Darren Aronofsky? Your answer to that answers your first question.

Hades

First Name: Brenden
Last Name: Clark
Skills: am a wannabe writer. I write and create everything, movies, sitcoms, commercials, books, cartoons, video games, w ...more
Biography: urbank, CA resident. I worked at Current TV for three years, then had a hiatus to do some writing, directing and p ...more
How did you hear about Filmaka.com: Friend

Postby Hades on Thu May 28, 2009 5:59 am

And to be clear I'm not judging either of those as bad. Each has their merits, and I would honestly like to be a little bit of both and I kind of think sadly my writing likely has more flash (so need of production value) than substance often. I'd consider maybe the middle of those being someone like a Christopher Nolan that has figured out the balance of the two.

Hades

First Name: Brenden
Last Name: Clark
Skills: am a wannabe writer. I write and create everything, movies, sitcoms, commercials, books, cartoons, video games, w ...more
Biography: urbank, CA resident. I worked at Current TV for three years, then had a hiatus to do some writing, directing and p ...more

Postby ej6inmiami on Fri May 29, 2009 7:44 am

Hey guys,

Here are my first two cents on this forum.

My fast twitch answer is content over production value. That being said, a film with poor production value usually draws my ire.

You can't believe that a futuristic script, no matter how clever and well-written, would be believable if shot in a regular part of town. I need my disbelief suspended. It doesn't have to be amazing, but if the production value borders on making the film believable, I can bypass glitzy camera moves and big explosions and follow the story.

That being said, I also can appreciate a film with just high production value. I'll never like the film overall, but I think we can judge a film on its aesthetics alone.

So like someone else mentioned, a film with good content and bad production value will win out over a film with terrible content and good production value. I mean, I'd take a working Pinto over a non-drivable shiny new BMW.

ej6inmiami

First Name: Anthony
Last Name: Bui
Title: Director
Skills: Director of comedy/drama. Short films, commercials, and music videos.
Biography: 've known that I wanted to be a filmmaker for a long time. I went to USC Film School and graduated with a degree ...more
How did you hear about Filmaka.com: Other

Postby modartgirl on Tue May 18, 2010 6:36 pm

Production value...you always need backdrop to take the story to the next level. Don't get me wrong, you need a good story, structure, beats and actors who can act otherwise your well written story falls apart...what's happening in between...transition shots are one of the cheapest and easiest way to express your film. That's why I LOVE Japanese filming making...
if you can't afford to design then use your design within the camera...lightings an amazing tool...use it~and a cheap can a paint!

modartgirl

First Name: jan
Last Name: oconnell
Skills: riter|director|producer|camera|editorOver 17 years experience in the entertainment field, currently working on my ...more
Biography: 've been working in film, television and commercials for the past 17 years and have worked with some of the best d ...more
How did you hear about Filmaka.com: Social Network Site

Postby DMJY on Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:21 pm

the content of most of the movies are really poor.remakes remakes remakes remakes.but that's just my opinion.

DMJY

First Name: May
Last Name: Wang
Biography: Actor, Editor, Director,
Previous

Return to Filming Techniques