How I Did the Rotating Cam Shot in Kick Your Ass!

Share and discuss shots from your favorite filmakas. Ask for guidance on your next project.

Moderators: admin, soumya

How I Did the Rotating Cam Shot in Kick Your Ass!

Postby anshulj on Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:34 pm

Three people have asked me how I did the "rotating punch cam" shot (at around 1m 41s into Kick Your Ass!), so I thought I'd explain how I achieved it. It's pretty complicated stuff. So pay attention.

You need to walk in a circle around your characters with a camera... very slowly.

And then speed it up appropriately in Post.

That's it!

Wasn't that the shortest tutorial ever? Glad that I could be of help!

Well OK... that's pretty much how I did it but I didn't explain what I used and stuff.

First of all, let me introduce you to my camera - The TRV22. The summary in the review page sums it up quite nicely "A friendly and affordable point-and-shoot cam".

For "Kick Your Ass!" (henceforth, called KYA!) I helped my little four year old camera by finally purchasing a widescreen lens for it (off ebay). It made a big difference to my image! Suddenly my camera could "see" more... I could be close to my characters and yet have space around them...! Awesome!

A year and a half before KYA! I had asked my friend Samir (he plays the watchman in KYA!) to construct "The Poor Man's Steadycam" for another project. He made me an approximate replica which I had kept aside then, since that project had gotten rained out. However, now I dug it out and used it for this shot. My shot is far from perfect as I practiced the rotating move only around 7-8 times before doing this shot. The more you use the "poor man's steadycam" rig the better you become with it. The Poor Man's Steadycam site has some amazing sample videos. If you're bored with your static camera shots and want some dynamic shots, it's worth asking Mr. Johnny Chung Lee to send you a pre-assembled kit (costing $40 + S&H). Completely worth it! Completely! According to me, a moving camera is almost always more interesting than a camera on a stand.

Anyway, so here I had my good old TRV22 (now wide-angled) attached to my friend's approximation of the Poor Man's Steadycam. Then I did what I have already stated in the start... I walked in a circle around my characters.. very slowly.

I would tell them.. "Start the punch now", "Hold the punch","Complete the movement" according to where I was with relation to them. Then it was just a question of speeding up and using the normal speed shots as required. And adding the sound effects of course... :)

That's it! I hope this cleared up how I did the "punch/rotate" shot in Kick your Ass! Have fun with this info! Cheers!

-Anshul Joshi

anshulj

First Name: Anshul
Last Name: Joshi
Title: Slacker Videomaker
Biography: nshul Joshi was born and brought up in Mumbai. He is still in Mumbai, cos' Mumbai rocks. He worked in the IT ind ...more

Re: How I Did the Rotating Cam Shot in Kick Your Ass!

Postby Guest on Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:36 pm

u r d ,man !!!

Re: How I Did the Rotating Cam Shot in Kick Your Ass!

Postby anshulj on Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:13 am

thx 4 d cmt mr.g, i aprc8 it. :)

anshulj

First Name: Anshul
Last Name: Joshi
Title: Slacker Videomaker
Biography: nshul Joshi was born and brought up in Mumbai. He is still in Mumbai, cos' Mumbai rocks. He worked in the IT ind ...more

Return to Filming Techniques